Who We Are
Sertoma, a curious word until three very important words come together in unison:
“SERvice TO MAnkind”
Sertoma’s primary service project is assisting the more than 50 million people with speech, hearing, and language disorders.
The Sertoma Club of St. Joseph, MO was founded February 1, 1914 as the Cooperative Club of St. Joseph. We were the second club to be established in the newly formed Sertoma International.
We were created to provide:
- Fellowship with other business leaders in the community.
- Community service where it was deemed appropriate.
What We Do
The mission of the organization and our club in particular has evolved over the last 100 years.
We are now focused primarily on the needs of those with speech and hearing difficulties, but we also address the needs of the children and disadvantaged in our community.
The necessary funds for these accomplishments have been obtained through several club fundraisers. These have included: bingo, duck races, and golf tournaments in the past. One of our longest running fundraisers dates back to the 1950’s. Community members throughout St. Joseph would gather together to watch our live Sertoma Auction on television.
Our current and ongoing fundraisers are Community Flag distribution on National holidays, a Sporting Clays Shoot, Celebrate Sound Walk, and Turkey Trot.
- One of the first clubs to allow women to join.
- Two other Sertoma Clubs were formed from our original club.
- In 2010, The Sertoma Club of St. Joseph, MO and East Hills Sertoma Club merged.
- In 2014-2015 club member David Johnson served as Sertoma International President.
Stop by and check us out. We currently meet at The Big Biscuit in St. Joseph, MO every Wednesday at 12:00 pm.